Friday, December 11, 2009

December 11th

And, we have the 26th scarf! Folks, we are going on to #30 and beyond. I have just confirmed the next charity to receive the next box of scarves and hats due out by the end of the next week. Yay!

This charity is special to me. I moved from the Anchorage, AK area to the DC metro a little more than 2 years ago. While I was still in Alaska, I had the chance to take part in a very special program that helps refugees settle in the US. Through this organization I provided ESL tutoring to a couple who came from a former Soviet republic.

This opportunity afforded me not only a opportunity to help aid a couple in their English skills, but it also allowed me to connect with a couple whose culture I was most interested in. (For their privacy, I will not name the country from which they originated.) You see, I am very interested in Russian/Soviet history and I am seeking a graduate degree in this area. Given that my job prevented me from continuing my Russian language classes, I jumped at the chance to help this couple.

And, what a rich opportunity it afforded me. In the brief time that I was able to be with this couple, I experienced many beautiful things. The most obvious of which was the cultural exchange with this couple. However, more importantly, I cannot tell you the pride and honor I felt aiding these two. They came to America with their children with little more than hope and courage. The way they eagerly sought instruction and insight into American culture, the pride in which the husband spoke of his newly found American job, the hopes they shared with me regarding their children's futures, made me realize how lucky I was. It really made me look at the American dream and what it really means, especially in an immigrant's eyes.

Words are not enough to express what this opportunity this couple gave me. Unfortunately, we both moved about the same time and had lost touch, but I know they are doing well. I know it in my heart, they have the drive to make the American dream possible for their family.

Each time I think of this family, I think of the organization which brought us together. I contacted the refugee program and will be sending them my next box of scarves. As well as refugees from the former Soviet Republics, they also aid those coming from Southeast Asia, Africa and many other nations. Most refugees come with just the minimal amount of items, so clothing is essential. Many of them have never known cold weather. As I know, the Alaskan winter is in full force and the scarves and hats will come in handy:)

Maybe soon I can add mittens to my donated items.

I feel this is a worthy organization. They have given me an eye opening experience. At least I can do is help keep them a little bit warmer:)

Scarf on!

Jennbarr



No comments:

Post a Comment